Every grand adventure requires a little packing, and My Nine Fridays will too. We will be using the technology most available to us (and what my kids try to take control of) most of the time. I have included pictures but because I am not a "picture paints a thousand words" photographer I will give you a few words on each device.
A Smartphone, mine is an iPhone, but we will probably borrow my husband's Droid from time to time too. This tool has a few uses that amaze me and entertain my kids. First, it connects to the internet without a wireless or corded connection so we can research anything from almost anywhere. Second, we downloaded a QR reader so that we can scan QR codes where ever we may find them - my older daughter can spot these from a mile away and already understands that more information - maybe even an audio or video file - is "hidden" in each of those black and white mazes. Then we have some standards apps that make everybody's life easier - the weather app ("Mom! How hot, how cold? What should I wear?"), the map app (we live in a beach bound community - alternate routes are a way of life), and timer/alarm app ("How long can we play at the playground? Is it time to go swim, yet!?"); we use these everyday just to get around our world. Finally, the phone has a great camera that is easy to use and even easier to send photos or video from. I discovered this ease when I realized my younger daughter is so well versed in using the camera that last night I deleted 237 pictures of our living room floor, her nose, and my husband's knees. All of this happens on a touch screen that is easier for small hands (and bigger mulit-tasking hands) to manipulate than a mouse.
An iPad, which in theory is for work purposes, but seems to have an increasing number of videos and apps that include Max & Ruby or dressing princesses and their pets and less with titles like Notes, Spreadsheets, TED, or Hoot Suite. To be fair, I do work in an elementary school and I am not above making my children do test runs on educational apps before we roll them out to teachers and students. I do love the educational ease of this device. I can look up answers to questions we have about books while we read the books, I can watch content with a child sitting in my lap anywhere...not just in our living room, we can plan our day efficiently by looking up hours/events with the swipe of a finger. Plus, my kids love the instant and non-judgemental feedback that an app gives...you either get it or you don't...and no one says no (with or without a frowny face or hidden sigh). Ours is the original version which means no camera, but after deleting about 237 more pictures from the smartphone, that is okay!
A web camera, the least mobile of our devices, as it is attached to our home computer. We use it mostly for Skype video-chats to family and friends. This is an awesome technology that keeps our extended family (especially mine, who live 1900 miles away) close in a way not available to previous generations. Both of my kids love to "Skype Mimi's house" and tell about their days and then show the physical evidence of who or what might be included in their adventures. Otherwise the web-cam is under-utilized and figuring out how to use it more may become one of my ideas for a Friday.
Now, I am off to take care of the next thing that every grand adventure needs, snacks!

No comments:
Post a Comment